Americas Home Place - Dream House is more like a Nightmare with America's Home Place!
AHP is wonderful at first.The office managed even took me out for beers and to discuss the house.
All of that congeniality changed when we actually begin to question why the work on your house isn't being done properly, or why items that you've paid for in the contract aren't being taken care of, and insist in writing that they be done. AHP received a copy of our custom house plans in January, and we didn't sign a contract until April, but when we arrived at the office the bid still wasn't ready. The office manager ran around throwing it together, and it looked reasonable, so we signed. They throw about 30 pieces of paper at you during the contract signing, encouraging you to hurriedly read and sign.
After waiting in the office 2 hours past our meeting time, we signed, not even realizing that the corporate office had to approve the contract, and that the document we received was not finalized. They mis-calculated the bid on our house when we signed the initial contract, then came back asking for an additional $22,000 a few days later! They told me nothing else in the contract had changed, which was a lie, as the line items had changed substantially. Then they didn't provide me with a copy of the 2nd contract, the 'official' one until months later, when we started to question why they weren't doing the things that were in the contract we had.
It appears to be a big secret that they had charged us more to provide less. For one thing, we discovered they removed the $3,300 "hero discount" that they offered in the first contract, as my husband has been on 5 Middle East Tours, and has served 23 years in the service. Everything you ask for requires a change order which is an additional $250.00. They drag their feet to fix anything, pushing the completion date months late.
We were told our house would be ready in 45-60 days. That was 9 months ago, and it's still not done. They asked us to stay away from the construction site, as we could be a liability. Fortunately, we went to check their work anyhow.
They pointed my house the wrong direction, and it's on 12 foot piers! They use shoddy materials, and we've had to ask that a lot of the work be re-done, which they still wouldn't do until I started my own Twitter feed. They won't even paint the inside of my doors, but painted the outside and hung them up, because we told them we wanted to paint the interior walls, since my sister has a decorating business. Items that AHP asked us to bring to the property, a sink and some shower doors, and told us would be fine there were stolen.
We found beer cans and bottles of Modelo, Corona, and Dos Equis, which our project manager told us were probably from neighborhood kids. And our Project Manager has a serious memory problem, because anything we ask for that he says "sure", he can't remember that conversation later. You are encouraged to sign a waiver denying you a list of their sub contractors, and I know why. I arrived at my home early for a builder meeting and had a chance to talk with the workers installing my electrical fixtures.
Jose was from Honduras, spoke no English, and I suspect was undocumented. No wonder they don't care if the switch plates are straight! They are getting paid next to nothing and are in a hurry to get to the next job. I was asked by AHP about 2 weeks before our projected move-in date to contact the electrical and gas companies to have service established, which I've learned is something that a builder generally does.
When I spoke with the electrical company I asked for lines to be run to my house. They replied "what do you mean there's a building there?", then they told me that the contractor (AHP) should have contacted them in July when they broke ground on my house, because getting the power and gas hooked up can take 6-8 weeks! Another 2 months of delay while we have no power and cannot move in! Our apartment lease has ended, and now we are paying month-to-month rent, as the building drags on and on.
Stay away.You've been warned!
More Review Details
|Product or Service Quality|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Poor workmanship
- Late delivery
- Did not fulfill expectations
- Reason of review:
- Incorrect placement, Late, damaged, extra financial burden, shoddy workmanship, poor communication, misrepresentation
- Preferred solution:
- Price reduction
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- House Construction
- Review category
- Home Construction and Repair
You May Also Like
- "After 5 years the structure of the so called QUALITY home is starting to rotten (door frame on back door, design balcony on main entry), questionable roof construction, VERY questionable..."
- "These photos are of a house with defective stucco at Sun City Hilton Head, SC. It is one example of the widespread defective stucco problem at SCHH that has resulted..."
- "I have not been in my home for six months and everyday I notice things that are wrong with my home from squeaky floors to pushed nails, cracks in the..."
- "I purchased a formal dress from modlily. It took them forever yo send it and once they did, it was the wrong item and the wrong size. The dress the..."
- "I do not own a Lennar home, but I have lived next to a model home for over one year. I have had major drainage problems with their property draining..."
- "I hate and I mean hate this company 17%....really and my car payment is $479. This was the worst mistake ever. This was my first car loan and I was..."
- "I purchased a Levian snake ring. It has white and chocolate diamonds. I have sent it back to Levian 5x for repair due to diamonds randomly falling out of the..."
- "I went to nearby 7-11 at my area blk 641 I grab my stuff and waited for the casher to scan instead of coming to me straight he finish his..."
- "With fashion, food, architecture JESSE KEYES with KAROLINZ ZMARLAK, 1 7th AVENUE SOUTH and LA ESQUINA, are all superb businesses. So happy to be partners with them. We have been..."