Americas Home Place built the guest house on my property some years ago.Since it passed inspection, I had no way of knowing that the front porch had been built incorrectly.

About five years ago, my termite management contractor alerted me to the fact that the crawl space insulation had come down and that it probably had been that way for some time. AHP responded quickly to the problem and "fixed it" without much ado. Now I'm in the process of selling my home, and the guest house... the buyers inspection service alerted me to the fact that the insulation was still not hung over most of the crawl space, AND that the front porch of the cottage was not anchored properly.

My repair service confirmed that the porch had been built incorrectly and that the crawl space insulation had never been hung properly. So I contacted AHP and asked them to take a look at the two problems... I offered to take care of the insulation fix if they would simply add some supports under the porch to make my buyer confident that it would not collapse. The AHP rep (Joshua Proctor) made an appointment to look art the problems but never showed up; he ignored my emails as well.

Eventually, I got an email saying that everything was out of warranty and that I was sh.. out of luck. But the failed insulation "fix" was done (purportedly) before the warranty had expired AND the porch support system could only have passed inspection if... well you know how inspectors are sometimes encouraged to look away.

AHP builds homes like my guest house for mostly low to moderate income people.

If they throw "out of warranty" verbiage their way, they are likely to give up quickly.I'm not likely to go away that easily.

Review about: Americas Home Place House Construction.

Preferred solution: Install porch supports and pay cost of insulation re-installation.

I liked: Timely build and seemingly tight construction.

I didn't like: Hiding behind warranty for a building code violation, Attitude of service manager, Failure to fix warranty repair now done twice.

Had an Experience with Americas Home Place?

Comments

Unfortunately, by your on admission, it has been "some years ago".

Anything could have been done by anyone to any part or parcel of that dwelling during the ensuing years.

I'm not saying that I don't personally believe every word you stated, but you are way past any reasonable time frame to expect it to be made new again.

Just offer the potential buyer a $1500 discount on the selling price and be done with it ... enjoy your new home and just forget about anything before ... I've done it, it seemed a touch bitter to swallow at first, but now my problems are someone else's and if they choose to fix it, fine ; if not, who cares ?